Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chicken Enchilada Soup


I love a great bowl of soup. I haven't felt well for a few days and soup sounded especially appealing. This is an easy recipe I created and my family loves it. The good news is I can throw it together in less than one hour. I garnish this soup with chips and cheese, but for a new twist on grilled cheese and soup, serve this with a cheese quesadilla.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 Store-bought Rotisserie Chicken
1 Large Onion – quartered
48 oz. can Chicken Broth
8 Cups water
2 cans Whole Green chiles, coarsely chopped
1 28 oz. can Green Enchilada Sauce, Mild
2 cups Minute Rice
2 14.5 oz. cans Diced Tomatoes (I like Red Gold)

Remove meat from chicken. Place chicken bones and skin, onion, water, and broth in large Dutch oven pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. In the meantime, dice chicken. Strain broth to remove bones. Return broth to Dutch oven. Add green chiles, diced tomatoes and juice, enchilada sauce, chicken and rice. Place lid on Dutch oven, bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Serve with grated cheese, and tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Marge said...

Great recipe! I love your blog, and have a Sisterhood award for you on my blog.