Monday, August 3, 2009

Beer-Braised Pork Chops

Today marked my official return to school. Although it is difficult to get back into the routine of working, and mothering, and being a wife, I also enjoy getting back to family dinners. Tonight, I created my own recipe for pork chops. My crew gobbled them up, so I think it was a success. The best part, my husband loved them so much, he is cleaning the kitchen. What a great guy.

Beer-Braised Pork Chops

6 Thick-cut boneless pork chops
1 cup Flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound sliced baby portabella mushrooms
12 oz. can beer
2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 bay leaves

Combine flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a resealable plastic bag. To dredge pork chops, place them in the plastic bag and shake. Add olive oil and butter to large skillet to melt. Add chops and brown on each side. Combine beer and maple syrup. Pour in pan, add bay leaves and bring to simmer. Place sliced mushrooms over pork chops, cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove chops and bring braising liquid to a hard boil. Reduce by half. Turn heat off, add one tablespoon of butter to sauce and stir until butter melts. Pour sauce over chops and serve.

No comments: