Sunday, April 26, 2009

Buttercream Icing


Several weeks ago, the prom committee at the high school I work at, asked if I could help prepare cupcakes. I love to bake, I love the kids, so of course I was happy to help. The added bonus, I got to spend a day baking with my two beautiful friends, Carrie and Mary. Carrie, an avid food blogger, took theis picture. My two daughters attend the same high school, so I learned what a huge success the cupcakes were at prom. Very impressive displayed on a stacked cake plate!

Buttercream Frosting

1 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco)
1 pound powdered sugar - sifted
1 teaspoon flavoring (almond is my favorite, but lemon and vanilla work well)
2 tablespoons water or milk (I use water so the frosting doesn't have to be refrigerated)
2 tablespoons meringue powder

Cream shortening, water and flavoring. Add sifted powdered sugar and meringue powder. Mix until blended. Add additional water until you reach the desired consistency. Stiff icing is good for some flowers, I like the soft consistency for icing cakes and a medium consistency was great for the cupcakes we made. If you want really white icing be sure to use a clear extract. Regular vanilla extract makes the icing off white.

No comments: